Mr. Femi Adesina, President’s Special Adviser on Media and Publicity, has unveiled 17 achievements of the administration in 2017.
He mentioned Nigeria exited its worst recession in many years and the nation rose 24 locations on the World Bank’s Ease of Doing Business.
The Nigeria Customs Service (NCS), he mentioned, recorded its highest-ever income assortment amongst different issues.
In his Facebook wall, he listed the achievements for 2017 as follows:
1. Nigeria exited its worst recession in many years. After 5 quarters of damaging progress, the financial system bounced again into optimistic territory. Agriculture was one of many stars of 2017, posting constant progress ranges even all through the recession. Also, Inflation fell for ten consecutive months throughout 2017 (February to November).
2. The Naira stabilised in opposition to the greenback, after the Central Bank launched a brand new FOREX window for Investors and Exporters. The stability has attracted billions of in portfolio investments since April 2017.
three. On the again of a steady Naira and elevated funding inflows, Nigeria’s inventory market emerged one of many best-performing on the earth, delivering returns in extra of 40 p.c.
four. Nigeria noticed bumper meals harvests, particularly in rice, whose native manufacturing continues to rise considerably (States like Ebonyi, Kebbi, Kano main the pack, with Ogun becoming a member of on the finish of 2017). The worth of a 50kg bag of rice – a staple within the nation – has fallen by about 30 p.c because the starting of 2017, as native manufacturing has gone up.
5. The Federal Government launched a 701 billion Naira Intervention Fund (‘Payment Assurance Programme’) geared toward supporting energy era corporations to fulfill their cost obligations to fuel and gear suppliers, banks and different companions. The influence is being felt, the quantity of energy being distributed is now at the moment regular at round four,000MW – larger than beforehand recorded.
6. The Federal Government started paying pensions to law enforcement officials who had been granted Presidential pardon in 2000 after serving within the former Biafran Police throughout the Nigerian Civil War. These officers, and their subsequent of kin, have waited for his or her pensions for 17 years because the Presidential pardon.
7. Nigeria rose 24 locations on the World Bank’s Ease of Doing Business rankings, and earned a spot on the List of Top 10 Reformers on the earth.
eight. Nigeria’s overseas alternate reserves grew by $12 billion, reaching the very best stage since 2014. Nigeria additionally added, this yr, a further $250m to its Sovereign Wealth Fund. Also, Nigeria’s commerce stability crossed over into surplus territory, from a deficit in 2016.
9. Nigeria efficiently issued two Eurobonds (US$four.5bn), a Sukuk Bond (100 billion Naira), a Diaspora Bond (US$300m), and the primary Sovereign Climate Bond in Africa, elevating billions of for infrastructure spending.
10. The Federal Government launched a Tax Amnesty scheme anticipated to boost tons of of hundreds of thousands of in further revenues when it closes in March 2018.
11. The Federal Government efficiently commenced implementation of a Whistleblowing Programme that has up to now seen recoveries of tens of hundreds of thousands of .
12. The Social Investment Programme – Nigeria’s most formidable social welfare programme ever – rolled out throughout dozens of states. (Currently, 5.2 million main college kids in 28,249 faculties in 19 states are being fed every day; 200,000 unemployed graduated enlisted into the Npower Job Scheme, and 1 / 4 of one million loans already distributed to artisans, merchants, and farmers).
13. The variety of Nigerians dealing with meals insecurity within the northeast dropped by half, in keeping with the Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO).
14. The Nigeria Customs Service recorded its highest-ever income assortment, crossing the One Trillion Naira (N1,000,000,000) mark. [The target for 2017 was 770 billion Naira (N770,573,730,490); 2016 Collection was just under 900 billion (N898,673,857,431.07)]
15. The Joint Admissions and Matriculations Board (JAMB), beneath the brand new administration appointed by President Buhari in 2016, remitted 7.eight billion Naira to the coffers of the Federal Government. The whole quantity remitted by JAMB between 2010 and 2016 was 51 million Naira.
16. 2017 was additionally the Year of Nigeria’s Agriculture Revolution, embodied by the successes of the Presidential Fertiliser Initiative (PFI) and the Anchor Borrowers Programme. More than a dozen moribund fertilizer mixing vegetation had been revived beneath the PFI this yr.
17. Finally, 2017 would be the Year that laid the inspiration for a 2018 that will probably be Nigeria’s Year of Infrastructure. Numerous necessary infrastructure tasks, in energy, rail and street, are scheduled to come back on-stream or inch near completion subsequent yr.